Monday, August 1, 2016

brickednexus keeper AKA green majisto

Majistos: Blue & Green
Majistos: Blue & Green

With just a quick glance on brickednexus, one can deduce two things: my fondness for the blue wizard minifigure Majisto, and my affinity towards the color green. That's why combining them produced the perfect mascot for this blog, whom I shamelessly dubbed as the brickednexus Keeper, AKA the Green Majisto. But where in the LEGO dimensions did he come from?

Let's start off with the original Majisto. The blue wizard minifigure, which is also known as Merlin in other areas, debuted in 1993 under the LEGO Castle theme, and Dragon Knights subtheme. He first appeared in the sets Magic Shop [6020] (my favorite!), Majisto's Magical Workshop [6048], Dark Dragon's Den [6076], and Fire Breathing Fortress [6082]. He would later on be included in a number of box sets for the next few years. With the debut of Majisto also comes a few brand-new pieces, namely the blue pointed hat piece, the separate white beard piece, and the glow-in-the-dark wand (glow-in-the-dark!). But not everything is new to this lovely minifigure. Besides the LEGO head with the standard grin, the print on his blue torso is not unique as well.

The tie shirt print with a waist belt pouch first appeared in 1987, as the green Forestmen minifigures joined the Castle cast in the set Camouflaged Outpost [6066]. This is LEGO's version of Robin Hood and his merry outlaws, who clashed with other factions in the medieval scene.

Forestman
Forestman

The torso print was also used on the Peasant minifigures, this time in light gray (and blue sleeves). It was first used in 1988 in the sets Knight's Challenge [1584], and Castle Mini Figures [6103].

Peasant
Peasant

But how did my green version of Majisto came about? After I was able to win the Magic Shop set in an eBay bid, I saw an auction for a Forestman minifigure. Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough that time around for I was outbid on the last second! Other offers were just so expensive! What do I expect from a minifigure who's almost as old as I am? And then I tried something that I never did before. I used BrickLink, and I was so delighted that I did!

United Kingdom is a LEGO heaven for me. I mean, there's LEGOLAND Windsor, and everything LEGO is not only awesome, but also accessible (don't let me start on the sales!). And part of that accessibility is BrickLink. It may have originated (not to mention bigger) in the United States, but the presence of close to a thousand online stores is the next best thing. My Green Majisto won't materialize if not for the great BrickLink stores Sue's Place, and Minifigforlife. So far, my limited BrickLink experience with these two stores is very much favorable. The LEGO pieces were even cheaper in their stores than those that I saw on eBay! I ordered the pieces one night, and when I woke up, I already received the invoices. I then paid them in the same morning, and they shipped the items in the afternoon. The next day, the postman delivered my orders to me. Some of the pieces are good as new even though they were marked as used. Voila! I now have my Green Majisto! Just like that, quick and smooth. For my future projects, I will not hesitate checking their stores first for LEGO pieces.

Hmmm, I wonder what to do next? I am still contemplating on whether or not to transform my Peasant minifigure into a Gray Majisto. I still lack some pieces though. Well, that's easy. BrickLink!

BrickLink Logo
BrickLink Logo

Do you also have a favorite minifigure? Have you tried BrickLink as well? How did it go? Feel free to share your comments below!



Reference:

Brickset. Castle. Retrieved from http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Castle

Farshtey, G., & Lipkowitz, D. (2013). LEGO minifigure year by year a visual history. Great Britain: Dorling Kindersley

No comments:

Post a Comment

october mini model build: robot

October Mini Model Build [40248] The Monthly Mini Model Build for October is an awesome robot! Veering away from the cutesy animals, the LEG...